Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Mysterious Taco Truck


Carne Asada Tacos

THERE IS  is a taco truck that is parked just down the street from me. It is there every day, except Sunday, until 5 pm. I would walk my dog by it, and there would always be at least one or two people ordering or waiting for food, but I was always too weirded out by food prepared in a truck to try it. I’m going to refer to it as the “taco truck” because I have no idea what it is called. I looked for the name once, but the only was able to find a picture of an octopus. This makes more sense now, because I just went to Yelp and searched for “taco truck” in Marina del Rey and a couple of the reviews said it is known for their seafood. It was pretty nondescript - just a white truck with blue “fins” that identified it as a food truck.


I was still wary of all food trucks, but then I watched “The Great Food Truck Race” on the Food Network. I decided I didn’t need to be afraid of food trucks, especially since they seem to be a pretty big deal in LA. But I still only went to the ones that had been featured on the show because I am super concerned of germs and very picky about where the food I eat is prepared. I figured if they were on the food network they were probably okay.


Finally, one day I was sitting in my apartment and I was really hungry. Looking through my fridge, I didn’t really have anything to eat and, besides, the only thing that sounded good was... a taco. I debated internally for a few minutes before I grabbed some cash (I was quite the food truck aficionado at this point and was well aware most only take cash), put my black Pomeranian on his leash, and walked to the taco truck. I hadn’t taken Spanish in years, but luckily I really paid attention to the classes on food, which prevented me from ordering a tongue taco instead of a steak taco. It was one of the best tacos I have ever eaten. Its now my “go to” lunch spot if I don’t feel like making anything, or have anything to make. And now I finally know its name: Guillen’s La Playita Taco Truck.

-- Allie Flinn

Photo Credit: found on Yelp, taken by Jason R.

No comments:

Post a Comment